Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Fallin' for Fall, Again



What's It Wednesday #141


Flu and cold season came early this year to our home. Not sure what is worse, sick kids or sick husband. Please enjoy this autumn repost!

Only recently I have fallen in love with fall. It all started with a bowl that once belonged to my dear grandmother. 

Recently I pulled out this wonderful bowl that my Uncle Freddie won at a Carnival when he was 11 years old circa 1952. Every year my uncle would win several of these wonderful glass pieces for his mother and his grandmother. We now know these iridescent and highly collectible pieces as "Carnival Glass". 

What struck me most, when pulling out this bowl, was the color. This bowl started the inspiration that led me to decorate our home for the Fall. I found some wonderful fall scented potpourri and I was off to decorate the rest of the house.



So I decided to build on the colors reflected in the bowl. This center piece was the perfect addition to my great-grandmother's dining room table. 



 As I starting building on the colors of Fall I remembered a peacock lamp, my grandmother made when I was little girl. So I whipped it out, tucked the electrical cord inside and placed her gingerly at the end of the table.
Once I found a place for my grandmother's peacock I knew I I needed to find Fall plates. I headed to Marshall's and found these delightful plates and bowls.


Birdcages are my weakness. I added Fall foliage, a black bird and a white pumpkin. I just love white pumpkins.

Then I couldn't decide which pumpkin to get because they were all beautiful. I passed the responsibility off to my five year son and asked him which pumpkins we should get. He said all of them. He was no help. I fell in love with the materials as well as the textures of these beautiful squash-like gourds.




While at the grocery store I picked up some more Fall colors and textures in the fruit, vegetables, and fall bouquets.

I kept the breakfast table simple with white accents. I felt that my mother's china trimmed in silver was perfect. She has had this set since the mid-60s. It's still one of our favorites. The white ceramic pumpkin was ideal for the center piece.


These glass pumpkins, made to look like mercury glass, were the ideal addition to the Baker's Rack in the breakfast nook. 





I guess that you can never have too many pumpkins. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Actually, I just think I have a new Fall obsession, but please don't tell anyone. 

My son, Sebastian, said the house is really cool and that Thanksgiving must be coming. That just warmed my heart so I have decided the Fall is just as wonderful as summer and now it's official, I have fallen in love with Fall.

What do you love about Fall?

xoxoxo
Paula

Thanks to all of you who partied with us last week. Please link-up and join us again. Remember, it's not a party without you!

Here Are This Week's Features:
Little Farmstead

The Blue Willow House

Shabby Tea Party

Uniquely Ella


An Extraordinary Day
Old World Patina


Don't Forget to Add a Feature Button!
Ivy and Elephants


We are partying with these fine folks:
Come show off your whatchamacallits, what is its, what it once was, and "hey, look what I just did" posts. In other words, what you created, organized, designed or re-designed, found, purchased, transformed, inherited, re-purposed, renovated, are selling, or giving-away.  

36 comments:

Antiques And Teacups said...

So sorry you are dealing with the flu Patty...not nice! It is the season, though. Love your repost anyway. Love the mercury glass and lovely fall arrangements. Stay warm, and...you know what to do! Thanks for hosting!
Ruth

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

Your fall decor is all so beautiful! I love the mercury glass pumpkins. Thanks so much for hosting this link party. Feel better soon! ~ Jamie

Deserae said...

Your fall décor is beautiful....I love the peacock lamp!!! It is so unique and such a stunning piece!!!! I hope you and your family feel better soon :o)
~Des

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Having just recovered from not one but two back-to-back bad colds, I can relate to dealing with sickness. Great fall décor - love the tall brown candleholders with pumpkins on top!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hope you avoided the flu yourself. Your fall decorations mixed with family history and lovely. Thank you for hosting today.

Anonymous said...

Lovely fall decorations. The peacock lamp is a treat. Thanks for hosting this week's party.

bj said...

Feel better soon, Patty.

I can't link my thumbnails on Linky Tools so I am just using the generic.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your family dealing with the flu. The Fall decor is just lovely. Thanks for the party.

Unknown said...

Oh I also forgot to say that I can remember my father taking me the fair almost every Fall. And he would always throw coins and win plates. Those were some fun times. Thanks for sharing that beautiful bowl that your uncle won.

Deanies Stash said...

I love all the Fall decor. Your house looks so warm and inviting. Fall is my favorite time of the year.

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

So sorry to hear your family is under the weather. Not fun. :(
On a lighter note, your vignettes are beautiful, it appears you are well-prepared for the holiday. I just picked up one of the same mercury glass pumpkins! Love them! You've done a beautiful job with them!

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

Thank you for hosting such a lovely inspiration. Lots of blessings for the recovery of the family.

Decor To Adore said...

What a true treasure your grandmother's bowl is! Thank you for hosting.

After a 6 week absence I am back with our new home's first transformation~ the family room.

Please get well soon!

NanaDiana said...

You have Fallen for Fall beautifully! My own mother had a lot of carnival glass that belonged to her mother (my uncle, too, won most of it at fairs). I only have one piece left-the rest is long gone. I wish now that I had more of it.


So sorry you have the flu at your house...umm...my bet goes that the sick hubby is MUCH worse than sick kids! xo Diana

Robyn said...

So many beautiful pumpkins and I love birdcages too, Patti. Today's features are fabulous as well. So many lovely images to gaze at!
Take good care of yourself and I hope everyone is feeling better very soon. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I love your fall decor pieces! Especially the mercury glass pumpkins, the carnival glass and the birdcages...all weaknesses of mine too! I love what you did with them and thank you so much for the feature!

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh honey I remember the days when husband got sick, men act like no one else in the world has ever been as sick as they are, LOL
Now back to the iris and herringbone iridescent dish your uncle won at the carnival, I have same one only about 3 of them, really I passed them off to a younger sister to keep since she once collected that pattern of depression glass.
Your fall decor is divine

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Paula,
I was excited to see your carnival glass bowl, as it is just like mine,
and my Daddy won it for my Mom when
I was a tiny baby. They divorced when
I was 3, so it was one of the main things my Mother wanted me to have when she passed away. I use it every year in the Fall, for candy. It typically sits on the coffee table, but since we have a grandaughter toddling around here I put it on my serving cart so it was up where she can't reach it. Isn't it such a pretty piece of glassware?? I just
love mine.
All your Fall decorations are lovely,
pretty dishes too.
Also thanks for hosting hon,
Blessings, Nellie

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks for hosting, Paula, Hope everyone is on the road to recovery at your house. I forgot I bought mercury glass pumpkins last year on sale and forgot to get them out. Thanks for reminding me..Happy Thursday..Judy

Crafts a la Mode said...

I love all your decorating, Patty! Wouldn't miss your party!! Linda at Crafts a la mode.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Patty, I especially like the back story to your little bowl from Uncle Freddie that started your new obsession. :)

An Extraordinary Day's feature fits right in with my sunroom saga this week. Thank you for hosting the party, and I'm happy to be here.
Rita

xinex said...

Oh, your home is so beautiful with all the warm Fall decorations. Love everything....Christine

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I sure hope everyone feels better today! Thanks for the fun Fall party! Sweet hugs, Diane

Alessandra said...

I love your fall decor especially the mercury glass pumpkins and the birdcages...such gorgeous.
Kisses
Alessandra

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Thanks so much for featuring my love letter vignette. :)
I love your fall pretties, Patty! Hope everyone in your house has a speedy recovery. [hugs]

Sarah said...

Paula, I have some similar little dishes from my mother. We won them at carnivals when children in the 50s. You've reminded me to pull them out for fall. Thanks for sharing yours and for hosting each week. Hope your family feels better soon.

Celestina Marie said...

Your Fall Decor is gorgeous and I love the carnival glass bowl from your grandmother. The peacock lamp is beautiful. Your home is beautiful for the season.
Hope your family feels better soon.
Have a nice weekend.
Hugs and Blessings

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I love all your fall touches Paula! I am always in awe of all the beauty you girls show us. We're sending up prayers that Patti is on the mend soon. Have some camomile tea and find a good book to cuddle up with!

Blessings to you both, Edie Marie & Marie Antoinette

Betty said...

Patty, so sorry to hear your family is not feeling well. Sending good thoughts for speedy recoveries to all. Thank you for Featuring my Little Witch's Altered Shoe, such a nice compliment! Hugs & Blessings,

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

My! It's got to make you feel better to watch at your wonderful decor... How can one be sick surrounded with such beauty ;)

Marigene said...

Thank you for hosting each week.
Your fall table is gorgeous.
I am sorry your kids and husband were sick...hope they are feeling better.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Our little grands have had some bugs as well, and it just makes them so irritable! Hope you and yours feel better soon.
What lovely Thanksgiving decor you have and what cherished pieces you have included as well. I just love that part of decorating so much!
Been out of town with my daughters, so not a thing to share-just stopping by to say Hi!
Hugs,
Jemma

Tea in the Library said...

Hope everyone is on the mend. Thank you for hosting !

Unknown said...

Dear ladies - Your Fall décor is lovely and I'm glad to see you haven't moved on to Christmas before Thanksgiving! LOL! You are so fortunate to have such nice things passed down from family members. I do too and it makes me feel happy. Thanks for hosting and I hope everyone is feeling well soon.
Blessings,
Patti

Creative Buildingbd said...

Creative Buildingbd is the best epoxy service provider in Bangladesh. Epoxy floor users will get amazing epoxy floor at an affordable price from us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ivy and Elephants
Gratitude is the Memory of the Heart ~ French Proverb ~ We are so grateful that you stopped by ~ Please visit again soon! ~ Much Love, Patricia and Paula