Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cannon Cottage Birthday

What's It Wednesday #41

Our family dodged Tropical Storm Isaac as we headed to Jamaica to celebrate our son Sebastian's 5th birthday. Cannon Cottage became our home away from home and the place that made a birthday very special. The location of this tropical getaway is midway between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios in Silver Sands Estates, Trelawny. 

The entrance to Cannon Cottage is elegant and inviting. The landscaping is absolutely gorgeous and reminds you that you are indeed in the tropics. At the top of the stairs is a beautiful terrace that welcomes you to relax and take a gentle swing in the hammock. We found ourselves spending every meal looking out onto the gorgeous Caribbean Sea from the terrace. This is where we sang a joyful "Happy Birthday" song to our darling Sebastian.

This wonderful villa has three beautifully decorated en suite bedrooms. The back facade is just as beautiful as the front of this amazing beach villa. 


As the name implies, there are beautiful cannons strategically placed on the property evoking part of the rich history of Jamaica as they elicit wonderful conversations.

As you walk through the back gardens, you come upon this beautiful mural which depicts the strength of women through it's cultural interpretation. This beautiful piece of art also reflects the strength and passion of the owner, Karen Sangster, of Cannon Cottage

This private Jacuzzi and it's beautiful waterfall, sits in the middle of fabulous tropical folliage. 

The pristine fine sand beach is less then a minute walk from the front door of the Cannon Cottage. This is where we actually enjoyed the breezes of Tropical Storm Isaac as it headed towards South Florida. 


Being a kid a heart and having a love of nature I embarked on a new adventure every day. Every nook and cranny yielded a new surprise. 

This gazebo sits at the edge of Silver Sands Beach. A place to contemplate the good and to pray for those being effected by Tropical Storm then later Hurricane Isaac.


The location of the villa is perfect. It is only 40 minutes away from  Ocho Rios. This was the perfect place to go and satisfy my need to be in the middle of amazing trees, tropical foliage, and to be able to play in the rivers and waterfalls. 


I could have not named these falls better myself. Next to Dunn's River Falls, Turtle River Falls and Gardens in Ocho Rios is one of my favorite natural landscapes of Jamaica. When I was a little girl, this beautiful mountain-side botanical garden was known as Carinosa Gardens.  


Hubby and I loved sitting on the bench in the middle of the water fall. It was the best seat in the house.


 I have a weakness for beautiful gingers. If only mine were this luscious. 


Sebastian ready to play in the cold river water and waterfalls.
Off the beaten path is One Love Waterfalls which is a local swimming favorite that turned out to be my son's favorite place to swim, play and meet new friends. 



Daily picnics on the beach and the building of sand castles are what made this 5 year old's birthday fun and memorable. Enjoying it with family and friends is what made it special. 

What are your fondest birthday memories?


Ivy and Elephants

 Thank you all for all that you do to inspire others! I know I am inspired each and every week by each and every one of you. 

Here are this week's fabulous features.

Fun August decor at Forever Decorating

This vintage calendar is delightful at Design Till it Shines

Gorgeous French Decor at Jennelise Rose

Amazing storage box at Wesens Art

"Decayed Elegance" with a beautiful art at One Creative Couple

Vintage pharmaceuticals at From Generation to Generation



59 comments:

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

What a gorgeous retreat! The home and grounds are just spectacular! I am sure Sebastian thoroughly enjoyed himself! Thanks so much for hosting...great features, also!

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

What a magical place - perfect for a birthday party! Thanks for hosting :) Have a great week!! Pernilla

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Fabulous place with gorgeous grounds. I'm sure your darling Sebastian had a grand big 5 birthday!! The Tropics, hammocks, great food and views, it's just the perfect vacation-birthday! Thanks for hosting yet, another great party at What's It Wednesday. Hugs,
FABBY

Artsy VaVa said...

Beautiful pictures. I'm a little jealous! Happy birthday to Sebastian!

marciagd said...

That's the stuff of which dreams are made. Thanks for giving me my dream for tonight!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

What a spectacular place, & that cottage is fantastic! I'm sure you were all happy to be far away from Isaac!

Thanks so much for hosting!

Vintage Street Designs said...

Your photos are just beautiful. Thank you so much for hosting! Blessings ~ Judy

Diane said...

Stopped in for a visit and saw that you featured my calendar. Thank you for noticing it. Also thanks for hosting!

Unknown said...

what a beautiful special spot! It's
dreamy!

Anonymous said...

Belated birthday greetings to Sebastian - I love that name, it is my son's middle name.
What a gorgeous place to visit. It wasn't just the falls that had me oohing and aahing!

Susie said...

Belated birthday greetings to Sebastian. I have been to dune river falls...so I know the beauty you are speaking about. Smiles, Susie

Cottage and Broome said...

Looks like it was a beautiful place for a birthday celebration. YOur little guy sure looks sweet! Thanks for hosting again this week, Laura

Gina said...

What a beautiful place! The photos are awesome!

Unknown said...

Hi Ivy,
Awesome shots! I am glad that you were able to come and spend time in Jamaica and visit all these amazing places. A wonderful 5th birthday for Sebastian! I wish him many more happy birthdays. Have a great Wednesday.
Judy

Curtains in My Tree said...


I have been uninspired this week at home so don't have a new post up. I have plenty to show but the lighting in my studio is not good and can't seem to get great pictures, (sorry didn't mean to complain) on such a beautiful post . I really am not a negative person LOL

however your post about the son's birthday trip is wonderful.
It is such a beautiful place and would like to go some day, heck I would like to visit Miami never been

Your little guy is adorable what a cute age I have a grandson 5 , just started kindergarten , has Sebastian started?

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Thanks so much for choosing us as a featured post. We are so honored! Also your photos from your trip are so beautiful. It looks like a truly fabulous place to visit.

Wesens-Art said...

Great photos of a beautiful place! Happy birthday to Sebastian!

And thanks for featuring my gift & storage boxes!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

What a beautiful place to celebrate Sebastian's birthday party. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. Great party!

Jody

Biljana said...

Beautiful photos, thanks for hosting:-))

Unknown said...

Paula, I am soooo proud of you and how far you have come with your photography! I'm also green with envy that you got to enjoy Sebastian's birthday in such a beautiful place.

Ann said...

Thank your for sharing your beautiful photos. I feel as if I've just had an island vacation myself. That retreat is magnificent. And, thanks, as always, for hosting.

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

What a magical looking place! The waterfalls and jacuzzi look like so much fun. So glad you shared this at Cowgirl Up!, I just linked up at your party too.
Hugs,
Linsey

The Tablescaper said...

What a very special way to celebrate! so gorgeous and relaxing.

- The Tablescaper

Anonymous said...

Wow what beauty..I've never been but I sure would love it,thanks for sharing you amazing photo's,Happy Birthday Sebastian!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Your photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing and hosting! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Whitney said...

What great photos! Amazing!

Thanks for leading me to your blog! So much to look over.

Whitney
passionforwood.blogspot.com

Faye said...

What a beautiful place to vacation! I don't think I would ever want to leave. Thank you for sharing your photos and thank you for the invite!

Faye said...

What a beautiful place to vacation! I don't think I would ever want to leave. Thank you for sharing your photos and thank you for the invite!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Love the features. Thanks for hosting. What a great vacation birthday celebration for a special little guy.
Joy

Rob Hunt said...

Great place for a family celebration. Thanks for hosting.
Rob

The Wilderness Wife said...

Jamaica is such a beautiful place! And those waterfalls...such an idyllic setting! Thank you for taking us for a visit in paradise!

Unknown said...

Such beautiful photos of your vacation! Thanks for inviting me to join your link up. I'm a new follower. :)
http://www.gingerlymade.com

The White Pear Tree said...

Oh wow, what a great trip! That cottage looks so gorgeous and inviting and I love the Ooh Aah Falls, lol!
Definitely a destination to keep in mind.

Happy Birthday to your big boy and thank you for hosting!

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing the amazing pictures I've always wanted to go to Jamaica and this just made it all the more enticing

Heaven's Walk said...

Oh my goodness....what a gorgeous place!!!! I could hear those waterfalls crashing down on the rocks below. Beautiful!!!! :)

xoxo laurie

Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

What a neat blog you have! Gorgeous pictures. Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me to your link party. Thanks so much for hosting! It will be fun browsing your blog as well! xo Shannon

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a gorgeous spot for a vacation! Happy Birthday to Sebastian!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a beautiful place on earth! Happy Birthday Sebastian!

Thanks for buzzing by and the invite. Just couldn't resist become a follower.

Unknown said...

What an incredible place to celebrate a birthday - gorgeous!
thanks for the reminder for the party - don't know how I missed it!
Big hugs,
Suzan

debra said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and the invite. What a birthday! Beautiful! :)

Auro @ Add that Xtra in the Ordinary said...

Isn't this lovely that your son's and mine have their birthdays in the same month now that is such a coincidence! A big shout out to Sebastian may a big god bless ya,and what an exotic spot to celebrate it indeed.Thanks once again for your sweet comments and for hosting todays party,linking in today with pictures of my son's Tintin themed birthday party.

hugs
Auro

Unknown said...

Thanks for the invite! I'm all linked up. If you get a chance, I'd love for you to share something at my party, Twirl & Take a Bow. It's every Tuesday.
Leslie
House on the Way

Mary said...

Happy Birthday to your son and thank you for the invite!

Red Rose Alley said...

This is a magical place indeed. Everything is so green and beautiful. The waterfalls are amazing. Jess went to the Caribbean this year, and she said the waterfalls there were the prettiest natural sites that she's ever seen. What a special place to have a birthday. Wonderful pictures.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love the Oooh And Aaah Falls!! What a magnificent place!!

Thanks so much for hosting!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Helen's Decor said...

What a beautiful paradise! So happy for you! Birthdays are more fun with those we love most. Great memories! Thanks for sharing, Helen

Jackie Patti said...

Thanks for hosting! I linked up my recipe for eggplant parmesan:
http://gapsfort2.blogspot.com/2012/08/eggplant-parmesan.html

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

Beautiful vacation pictures! They look like postcards :) Thank you for hosting :)

Adorned From Above said...

thanks so much for the invite. I'm following and linking. Great Party.
Debi @ Adorned From above

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Gorgeous retreat and sounds like you had a wonderful time. Sebastian looks like he had a great time. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Collar City Brownstone said...

The pictures of your vacation-birthday are so gorgeous. I love the pictures of the falls especially. I would love to sit on a bench in the midst of some beautiful falls.

Uniquely Ella said...

WOW, Your Aebastian is so cute playing in the sand. What a glorious get away. The picture are beautiful. Love Ocho Rios, paradise on earth. Oh my the vegetaion, ok now I want to go.
xxx
Marlene

janice15 said...

It looks like a wonderful place to visit and stay for a while..just lovely..Happy Birthday to your son...Little late but just got here...Happy Tuesday with love Janice

fromgentogen said...

What a wonderful celebration...One all of you will remember...Sorry, I am so late in acknowledging my total appreciation...Thank you for sharing...
Blessings, Becky

Heirloom treasures said...

oh how lovely to spend a holiday in such a beautiful place. x

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello,
Happy belated birthday to your son. How wonderful to have all those memories. You really made the best out of the storm. Your pictures are wonderful. It looks like a place in heaven. Sorry, I am too late to link in for today's party.
Best greetings, Johanna

home remodeling said...

I’m really like it! Very, very dgdeeac good!

Sandy Ang said...

wow that looks like a fantastic vacation. Jamacia is one of those places i dream of visiting

Virginia Maria de Jesus Fassarella said...

Amei o blog, voltarei mais vezes, assim que tiver outra coleção aberta vou participar.
Grande abraço.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ivy and Elephants
Gratitude is the Memory of the Heart ~ French Proverb ~ We are so grateful that you stopped by ~ Please visit again soon! ~ Much Love, Patricia and Paula