Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fallin' for Fall

What's It Wednesday #43


Only recently I have fallen in love with fall. It all started with a bowl that once belonged to my dear grandmother. 

Recently I pulled out this wonderful bowl that my Uncle Freddie won at a Carnival when he was 11 years old circa 1952. Every year my uncle would win several of these wonderful glass pieces for his mother and his grandmother. We now know these iridescent and highly collectible pieces as "Carnival Glass". 

What struck me most, when pulling out this bowl, was the color. This bowl started the inspiration that led me to decorate our home for the Fall. I found some wonderful fall scented potpourri and I was off to decorate the rest of the house.



So I decided to build on the colors reflected in the bowl. This center piece was the perfect addition to my great-grandmother's dining room table. 



 As I starting building on the colors of Fall I remembered a peacock lamp, my grandmother made when I was little girl. So I whipped it out, tucked the electrical cord inside and placed her gingerly at the end of the table.
Once I found a place for my grandmother's peacock I knew I I needed to find Fall plates. I headed to Marshall's and found these delightful plates and bowls.


Birdcages are my weakness. I added Fall foliage, a black bird and a white pumpkin. I just love white pumpkins.

Then I couldn't decide which pumpkin to get because they were all beautiful. I passed the responsibility off to my five year son and asked him which pumpkins we should get. He said all of them. He was no help. I fell in love with the materials as well as the textures of these beautiful squash-like gourds.




While at the grocery store I picked up some more Fall colors and textures in the fruit, vegetables, and fall bouquets.

I kept the breakfast table simple with white accents. I felt that my mother's china trimmed in silver was perfect. She has had this set since the mid-60s. It's still one of our favorites. The white ceramic pumpkin was ideal for the center piece.


These glass pumpkins, made to look like mercury glass, were the ideal addition to the Baker's Rack in the breakfast nook. 





I guess that you can never have too many pumpkins. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Actually, I just think I have a new Fall obsession, but please don't tell anyone. 

My son, Sebastian, said the house is really cool and that Thanksgiving must be coming. That just warmed my heart so I have decided the Fall is just as wonderful as summer and now it's official, I have fallen in love with Fall.

What do you love about Fall?


xoxoxoxo
Paula


Ivy and Elephants

Fall Party

 Thank you all for all that you do to inspire others! I know I am inspired each and every week by each and every one of you. 

HERE ARE THIS WEEK'S FABULOUS FEATURES.

These lovely bronze and copper chalkboard trays can be found at The Sepia Puppy

Check out this beautiful Cotton Pickin' basket of beautiful hydrangeas at Blue Creek Home

I am over the moon that Vanna is back. Please visit our dear friend at Delusions of Grandeur. <winks>
This beautiful Fall tablescape is a must see at Our Prairie Home

You will be amazed at A Girl and a Brush

This painted vintage was the perfect touch at The Concrete Cottage

We are partying with these fine folks.

Sunday
Seasonal Sunday @ The Tablescaper
Sunday's Best Party @ My 1929 Charmer
It's Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri

Monday
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage
Pink Hippo Party @ Pinkapotamus
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle
Making The World Cuter Monday @ Making The World Cuter
Bedazzle me Monday @Everything Under the Moon
Creative Mondays @ Judy H-J's Thoughts - A Twinless Twin
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
Just A Party with My Peeps @ How to Nest for Less
Cowgirl Up @ The Farmhouse Porch
It's Show Off Monday @ Kampen Lane
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House

Tuesday 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm 
Time to Shine @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Cuppa Tea@ Antiques and Teacups
Table Top Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Talent Tuesday @ Vintage Wanna Bee
Twice Owned Tuesday @ Creating a House of Grace
Tuesday Link Party @ A Bowl Full of Lemons
Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time
Tuesday's Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Anything Goes @ Type A
Club G.W. @ Charm Bracelet Diva 
Show Me What Ya Got@Not JUST a Housewife
Inspiration Board @ Homework
Rock 'N Share @ The Shady Porch
Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.


Wednesday 
What's It Wednesdays @ Ivy & Elephants
Works for Me Wednesday @ We are THAT Family
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday @ Primp
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wednesday Link Party @ Very Merry Vintage Style
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style 
Show and Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Create and Share @ Trendy Treehouse
Link It Up Wednesday @ Junk in Their Trunk
Sugar & Spice @ Seven Thirty Three
Show & Share @ Southern Lovely
Time for a Party @ DIY Home Decor & Other Creative Projects

Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours
Time Travel Thursday @ Brambleberry Cottage 
Catch a Glimpse Thursday @ A Glimpse Inside
Creative Things Thursday @ The Vintage Farmhouse
Vintage Thingie Thursday @ The Coloradolady
Pearls and Lace Thursday @ Faith, Grace, and Crafts
Pin'Inspirational Thursday @ The ArtsyGirl Connection
Thrifty Thursday @ Tales from Bloggeritaville
Cute & Creative @ Dumpster Diva
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Coffee & Conversation @ Passionately Perfect
Thrift'n On a Thursday @ Savvy City Farmer
Debbiedoo's Newbie Party @ Debbiedoo's
Thursday Favorite Things @ Katherine's Corner
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Creative Thursday @ Michelle's Tasty Creations and Crafty Ideas
Passion Parade Link Soiree @ Petites Passions

Friday
Air Your Laundry Friday @ Freckled Laundry
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Feature Yourself Friday@ Finger Prints on the Fridge
Farmhouse Friday @ LaurieAnna's Vintage Home
Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove
Potpourri Party @ 2805
Happy Hour Friday @ Craft Berry Bush

Saturday
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Say G'Day Linky Party @ Natasha in Oz
Saturday Show Off @ The Rose Garden in Malevik

47 comments:

Rob Hunt said...

Enjoyed seeing all your fall decorations and how you put them together in such a great way. Thanks for hosting.
Rob

Barbara F. said...

I love fall, always have, always will! So much to love about it. I just don't like winter . xo

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

As always, your autumn decorations are stunning. I love your originality and artistry. Thanks for hosting. Great features this week too.
Joy

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Great features. My mother gave me a bowl similar to your beautiful one. I love it. Thanks so much for hosting a fantastic party!

Jody

Heirloom treasures said...

I think all your home Autumn decor is beautiful,but I have fallen in love with the Peacock lamp. How talented your Grandmother was to make such a beautiful item. xx

Our Hopeful Home said...

You're right, you can never have too many pumpkins! Never! :)So nice that you have so much family stuff, I'm jealous! The carnival glass is great.

Anonymous said...

My mother in law collected Carnival Glass and we picked up some pretty pieces for her about ten years ago, which were very reasonably priced; I'm not sure what prices are like now.
Here in the UK we don't do seasonal decorating with quite the same enthusiasm as you do in North America, so it is always very interesting seeing your displays, because I get inspired to add similar touches, albeit on a much smaller scale! Your decorating is beautiful.

Gail said...

I enjoyed seeing all your lovely touches of Fall! Great features this week and thanks for hosting, Gail

akawest said...

Wow, you made everything look gorgeous. The peacock is really cool. As for me, well, I like seeing the little children all excited for Halloween. Other than that, no, no, no, I want summer to last forever.

Unknown said...

Your fall decor is gorgeous! I love your Carnival Glass! So beautiful. I have one cherished piece from my grandmother. Such memories. :)
Thank you so much for hosting another wonderful party! HUGS

Anne said...

Paula,
Beautiful fall decor! What a beautiful peacock too! I do love the beauty of fall but I am not a winter girl so fall is bittersweet for me!
xx
Anne

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thank you for hosting! Love your Fall decor! Hope to see you over at Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your fall decorations are beautiful!!!

Dee

Blue Creek Home said...

Well, first of all let me thank you for featuring my watchmakers cabinet.Next, I am happy that you have fallen in love with fall - it is such a beautiful time of year. Love the decorations you chose.
Thanks for hosting and I am off to see some of this weeks entries.
Rhonda

Blue Creek Home said...

Whoops - can I have a do-over this morning??? I meant to say thanks for featuring my cotton basket. The watchmakers cabinet is this weeks entry. : )
Rhonda

shannon i olson said...

beautiful fall decor! Your post reminds me I was going to give my decorative birdhouse to a bird in need in my dreams last night....goodness!

Julie Marie said...

Hi Paula (and Patti!)... I just love Fall too, and all your pumpkins are just delightful!... how cute is your son!!!... loving ALL the pumpkins too... and your carnival glass is precious... the perfect Autumn touch!... and so full of beautiful memories of your loved ones... I am sure your home is so welcoming, warm and inviting... Happy Autumn to you!... much love, xoxo Julie Marie PS I linked in my "Harvest" muffins today, but put my name in stead of my post title... sorry!

Jeannine said...

Your Fall decor looks gorgeous!! And thanks s much for featuring my suitcase! Makes me grin. :)

Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

With A Blast said...

Thank you for hosting! Regards from South-Africa

Diann said...

Oh, you have so much Fall beauty here! I love everything. And I adore the story behind the bowl! Thank you for hosting and thank you in advance for joining TTF this week. Have a fantastic day!

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Paula,
What a beautiful Autumn post. What a wonderful display of Fall color and charm. I love the tiny pumpkins sprinkled throughout your arrangements. They add such a touch of whimsy and sweetness.
This is such a delightful time of year!
Blessings and warm wishes,
Carolynn

Palomasea said...

I've been away too long, sweet friends!
Oh my goodness, I do love everything about Fall...the coziness, the holidays...
I really love how you mixed things up, Paula, and decorated with different styles of pumpkins...everything looks great, and so heartwarming that it gets your dear son excited for the changing season!
Love the carnival glass too...
Blessings,
- Irina
(Isn't it great to have Vanna back? ;)

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

Love the fall decorations! I especially like the mercury glass pumpkins I spied :)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Thanks for hosting, Paula. Your fall decorations are really beautiful. I love the dinnerware you got at Marshalls..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Paula,
Your Fall decorations are wonderful. I just love the vibrant colors of Fall, so beautiful! That's cute what your son said. Precious memories.
Gina

Rhissanna said...

Oh my! You always have such gorgeous stuff and your Autumn decorations are just a joy to see. I love the blue glass with all the reds and gold. I adore those mercury glass pumpkins!You're right about carnival glass; the oranges and the lustre are just perfect for this time of year.

Cottage and Broome said...

Paula, We are both on the same wave length this week, I have peacock feathers and you have a peacock! How wonderful you have bowls from your Uncle carnival winnings. Thanks for hosting, Laura

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I SO love Fall! Cozy sweaters, hot apple cider, football, SOUPS, candles with fabulous scents....you name it. We are moving this weekend so everything I own is PACKED right now so I can't decorate...........YET! I love all your decorations. The dishes are beautiful. XO, Pinky

NanaNor's said...

Like many others, I love fall also; I love scented candles, quilts on couches, pumpkins and changing colors. Your fall decor is wonderful, thanks so much for sharing!
Noreen

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

Beautiful decorations; the peacock lamp is so unique! Thanks for hosting!
Nancy

Vintage Street Designs said...

Thanks for hosting another great party! :)

lvroftiques said...

Oh Paula out of the mouths of babes! Your house does look really cool! Fall has "fallen" beautifully at your place *winks* (I LOVE the name Sebastian!) And thank you so much for your prayers and for featuring me! Oh my goodness I'm thrilled to pieces! I am also in love with your Grandmothers peacock lamp...(I'm sure this is no surprise to you *winks*) And the carnival glass is sooo perfect for Fall!...Which BTW is my favorite time of year. The air is crisp and perfect for brisk walks which I have been so happy to be able to partake in! It helps to clear my head and maintain my balance.
Thank you so much again my friend (and Patti too) for being so kind. I know we're kindreds and I'm so happy to "know" you! ((HUGS)) Vanna

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Wow, such gorgeous Fall images, everyone of them! Great features too, so much inspiration in Ivy and Elephants. Am I too late for the party?, as I couldn't find the link anymore. Thank you for hosting yet, another terrific party.
FABBY

Unknown said...

Hi Paula! Been a while since I have been able to stop by...Life Happens...oh well. Your decor is gorgeous. Fall and it's colors has always been my fav. I use these colors year round. Your home is soooo inviting.

Unknown said...

I love the color of fall. You've got a lot of ideas to do about it. Just like you. Creative ideas strike you by. Great works by the way.
website hosting australia

Susie {a.k.a. Mrs V} said...

So happy to have made the connection Paula, thanks so much for hosting and I was tickled to link up! Hope you are having a fabulous weekend. I am loving all your fall decor!

Danice G said...

Fallin' For Fall, what a great name for a linky party! I just joined. As always, your decorations are awesome.

ileana-carmen said...

Thank you for your invitation.
I found here a very nice place.
I hope I come to visit you often.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous fall decor. I love your new plates and bowls.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Sorry ladies I'm so late! Stunning fall decorations and so inspirational the way you put your lovely elements together! The features are terrific and thank you for hosting yet, another great party at What's It Wednesday..aaand for having me so late! Lots of hugs,
FABBY

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Your Fall decor and vignettes are all so lovely, Paula. What I love most about Fall are the colors. I feel that it is almost impossible to make a mistake with any color combo you want as long as you add some leaves and maybe a few pinecones, it all works together.

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

Your home looks so lovely with the fall decor! So beautiful, nicely done. Love the peacock!
Saw you sharing at It's So Very Cheri/Cupcakes and Crinoline party.
Debbie :)

Gail Peterson said...

I love that you were inspired by a simple bowl from your family... I love fall too,it really is fun to decorate with all those cozy elements.
Thank you for stopping by my blog too! I had
to come say Hi! I
will link up for the next wednesday party.
Have a lovely week,
xo,
Gail
http://www.casualloveselegance.blogspot.com

scarlett clay said...

Your fall decor looks magnificent! And I have a bowl just like that from my great-grandmother!!..the etchings look a little different but same shape! I love it, too, but have never used it for fall...I'm gettin' out tomorrow! :)

Myric said...

I am very excited to tell you, I featured your fall collections at Passion Parade today at my blog! I hope you could come by and check it out and link-up your latest projects!

http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/2012/10/passion-parade-friday-link-soiree.html

xo
Myric

electronic voting systems said...

Love the blog here. Nice colors. I am definitely staying tuned to this one. Hope to see more.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Your dogs are so charming.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ivy and Elephants
Gratitude is the Memory of the Heart ~ French Proverb ~ We are so grateful that you stopped by ~ Please visit again soon! ~ Much Love, Patricia and Paula